This section presents technical articles published by credible industry magazines and editors. The articles are written by Pentek experts and can be used as a reference tool for those involved in the design of data acquistion, software radio and digital signal processing systems.
Some of the following links are to files in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free from Adobe, is required to view or print these files.
- Key Design Considerations for SFF RF Signal Recording (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- While the real-time recording of a gigahertz or more of RF bandwidth is commonly available in 19" rackmount systems, shrinking this capability into a Small Form Factor (SFF) thats suitable for UAVs, aircraft pods, or other confined spaces has proven challenging.
- Using a COTS SDR as a 5G Development Platform (Microwave Journal)
- This article is intended to familiarize radio engineers with the use of a multi-purpose commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) platform for software-defined radio (SDR) that can reduce development time for 5G.
- SOSA, CMOSS, HOST, and Military Open Standards (Electronic Design)
- FACE, HOST, SOSA, CMOSS& sounds like military alphabet soup. However, this taste of standards is a good one.
- SOSA Open-Systems Standards Promoting Interoperability (Military & Aerospace)
- OpenVPX open-systems standards represent the backbone of today's aerospace and defense embedded computing. This family of open-systems standards offers access to the highest-performing commercially developed processing technologies, promises interoperability, mixes RF and optical interconnects in the same system, and is helping bring the data center into ruggedized deployed applications.
- 1, 2, 3, ... Slots are In (VITA Technologies)
- When one envisions a VPX system, the image that often comes to mind is a multislot high performance computing system full of processing and I/O boards. But there is a completely different class of VPX "systems" that range from one to three slots in size, primarily in a 3U form factor. What do these "systems" look like and what is driving their existence?
- VITA 49: Software radio's evolving language (VITA Technologies)
- Overwhelming adoption of software radio as a critical technology for real-time embedded systems spurs defense customers to expand its capabilities for the constantly evolving needs of military applications. With numerous vendors in the market, customers are seeking interoperability and easy insertion of new technology.
- Designing Ultra-Wideband Small Form Factor RF Signal Recorders (Microwave Journal)
- A summary of the features and techniques used to provide real-time, ultra-wideband, RF signal recording in a small, rugged package optimized for size, weight and power (SWaP).
- Military, Aerospace and Avionics (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- Earlier this year Pentek introduced an eight-channel A/D and D/A converter, 3U OpenVPX board based on the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC FPGA. Pentek Vice-President and Co-Founder Rodger Hosking tells us more here about the significance of the new boardthe first in the company's Quartz Architecture family.
- VPX Technology Development Trends (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- Where various systems need to work cohesively, and system integrators are under constant pressure, VPX technologies respond to the needs of complex embedded systems.
- Managing FPGA Design Complexity (Circuit Cellar)
- Modern FPGAs can contain millions of logic gates and thousands of embedded DSP processors allowing FPGA hardware designers to create extremely sophisticated and complex application-specific hardware functions.
- New open standards drive military software radio architectures (MES)
- Since the 1994 Perry directive to use COTS [commercial off-the shelf] components, virtually all defense and intelligence organizations have been seeking standards-based solutions for electronic equipment and systems. However, even without that mandate, government customers have come to recognize the commonsense benefits of open standards to take advantage of the latest technology, shorten procurement cycles, and foster competitive pricing. Instead of simply trying to comply with procurement policies, these large government organizations are now actively pursuing and promoting new standards to align with current and future mission requirements. More than simply new standards, these initiatives present a new paradigm of system architectures that can efficiently evolve to accommodate new threats and changing requirements, without starting over from scratch each time.
- New Technologies Tackle UAV Challenges (A&D Tech)
- Defense Agencies Focus on Electronic System Compatibility (SAE)
- VPX Routes High-Bandwidth Optical, Coax on Backplane (Electronic Design)
- Thanks to VITA 66 and VITA 67, optical and coax connectors can be placed in the P2 slot, enabling a ruggedized board to simply slide in and connect to the interface.
- 3U VPX Board Links Kintex Ultrascale FPGA with VITA 66.4 Backplane (ED)
- Evaluation Engineering January 2018 Product Picks (EE)
- Roundtable: Experts Discuss Key Design Engineer Challenges (ECN)
- Demand for data drives embedded computing designs (Military & Aerospace)
- High Speed Serial Switch Fabrics Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2017 - 2025 (TMCnet.com)
- How will the state of engineering evolve in the coming years? (ECN)
- Small Form Factor Embedded Computing for New and Legacy Aircraft (Intelligent Aerospace)
- Global Aerospace Technology Network
- Small Form Factor Embedded Systems (Aerospace & Defense Technology)
- New Technologies Drive Diverse Solutions
- Round Table: Raising Expectations for UAVs and More (Embedded System Engineering)
- Embedded Tech Trends 2017 Wrap-Up (VITA Technologies)
- JEFF'S PICKS: A-D Processing Board Family Boasts Scalable, Flexible Architecture (COTS Journal)
- Low-latency Processing, Open Architectures Key for Smarter Radar/EW Systems (Military Embedded Systems)
- New Technologies Boost Wideband Signal and Data Recorder Performance (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- SFF Embedded Computing for C4ISR (Military & Aerospace)
- VITA Perspective 2017: Unexplored Territory (Electronic Design)
- Security and Solid-State Media Driving Data Storage (Military & Aerospace Electronics)
- VITA 49 Radio Transport: The new software radio protocol (VITA Technologies)
- VRT protocol improves interoperability, maintainability, and upgradability.
- XMC Board Uses FPGA and ADCs for Comprehensive GSM Monitoring (COTS Journal)
- The digital conversation requires the marriage of two key technologies: analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and FPGAs.
- Successful Trajectory to Deliverable System (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- Increasing complexity and new trends - FPGA devices with embedded processors; data converters that use JESD 204B gigabit serial interfaces, to name just two - continue to make life interesting for systems integrators.
- Seven Technology Trends Driving Military Design Choices (COTS Journal)
- To keep its technological edge, the defense industry must continue to leverage the best technologies grown from the consumer and commercial computing realms. Seven of these trends will dominate this year.
- SDR Security and Shared Spectrum Challenges (Military Embedded Systems)
- New RF Strategies for Software Radio (Aerospace and Defense Technology)
- Embedded computing community seeks to push I/O speeds in exploring new frontier of optical interconnects (Military & Aerospace Electronics)
- Aerospace engineers opt for Optical Technologies (Interactive Intelligence)
- COTS procurement, 20 years after the Perry Memo (Military Embedded Systems)
- High-Speed Interfaces Pushing Optical Connectivity (Electronic Design)
- MIL/Aero: Takes a Lickin' and Keeps on Ticki (Embedded System Engineering)
- Optical Links Provide Many Advantages for Military Systems (COTS Journal)
- Pentek Announces Kintex UltraScale Co-processorJade XMC for Signal Processing Applications (EE Journal)
- Pentek, Inc., today introduced the newest member of the Jade family of high-performance data converter XMC modules based on the Xilinx Kintex Ultrascale FPGA. The Model 71800 is a co-processor module with an XMC PCI Express Gen 3 interface and general purpose I/O using parallel LVDS and gigabit serial ports.
- Processor Options Stack up for Industrial Applications (Embedded Systems Engineering)