This section presents technical articles published by credible industry magazines and editors. The articles are written by Pentek experts and can be used as a reference tool for those involved in the design of data acquistion, software radio and digital signal processing systems.
Some of the following links are to files in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free from Adobe, is required to view or print these files.
- XMC Board Uses FPGA and ADCs for Comprehensive GSM Monitoring (COTS Journal)
- The digital conversation requires the marriage of two key technologies: analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and FPGAs.
- VITA 49 Radio Transport: The new software radio protocol (VITA Technologies)
- VRT protocol improves interoperability, maintainability, and upgradability.
- Seven Technology Trends Driving Military Design Choices (COTS Journal)
- To keep its technological edge, the defense industry must continue to leverage the best technologies grown from the consumer and commercial computing realms. Seven of these trends will dominate this year.
- Successful Trajectory to Deliverable System (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- Increasing complexity and new trends - FPGA devices with embedded processors; data converters that use JESD 204B gigabit serial interfaces, to name just two - continue to make life interesting for systems integrators.
- High-Speed Interfaces Pushing Optical Connectivity (Electronic Design)
- Optical Links Provide Many Advantages for Military Systems (COTS Journal)
- SDR Security and Shared Spectrum Challenges (Military Embedded Systems)
- Aerospace engineers opt for Optical Technologies (Interactive Intelligence)
- Embedded computing community seeks to push I/O speeds in exploring new frontier of optical interconnects (Military & Aerospace Electronics)
- COTS procurement, 20 years after the Perry Memo (Military Embedded Systems)
- New RF Strategies for Software Radio (Aerospace and Defense Technology)
- Strategies for Successful VPX System Design (Embedded Systems Engineering)
- Small Form Factor Strategies for Military Embedded Systems (Aerospace and Defense Technology)
- VPX Optical Interfaces Boost System Capabilities (RTC Magazine)
- The Signal Processing Challenges in Radar and Software-Defined Radio (Military & Aerospace Electronics)
- VPX Board Utilizes VITA 66.4 Optical Backplane (Electronic Design)
- ReadyFlow Tools Enhance Cobalt User Experience (Electronic Design)
- Functional Connectivity MRI Helps Measure Brain Activity (Electronic Design)
- 10 GbE Digital Recording Feeds Demands from Wideband Sensors (COTS Journal)
- Will Optics Spell The Death Of The Copper Backplane? (Electronic Design)
- Working on Remote RF Remotely (Electronic Products)
- Cooling Strategies for Real-Time Embedded Systems (Design News)
- Strategies for pushing software radio closer to the antenna (Military Embedded Systems)
- Military Embedded Systems
- Rugged Laptops and Workstations Enable a Net-Centric Military (COTS Journal)
- MicroTCA / AMC Solutions for Real-Time Data Acquisition (RTC Magazine)
- Virtex-7 FPGA technology boosts radar performance (Military Embedded Systems)
- The latest Virtex-7 FPGAs from Xilinx deliver significant benefits for radar systems compared to previous-generation devices.
- FPGAs Drive Digital I/O Solutions (RTC Magazine)
- Harnessing FPGAs for beamforming software radio systems (EE Publishers)
- FPGAs Pave New Processing Paths for VPX and VME Systems (COTS Journal)
- Unmanned vehicles push wireless, but lack in multicore (EET)
- Design roundup: software-defined radio (EET)
- Time carefully the adoption of your next-generation processor (EDN)
- Using PCIe & intelligent DMA to achieve blazing data rates in real-time recording instruments (EET)
- New Virtex-7 FPGAs boost software radio performance (VME & Critical Systems)
- Software-Defined Radio system performance looks to improve, thanks to the advanced power reduction, increased DSP engines, improved buffering, and faster interfaces of Xilinx's Virtex-7.
- Harnessing FPGAs for Beamforming Software Radio Systems (Embedded Technology)
- Over the past 20 years, software defined radio techniques have not only revolutionized radar and communications systems, but they have also boosted system performance levels. One of the most widely-deployed and technically challenging operations in these systems is beamforming.
- Putting OpenVPX to Work (Embedded Technology)
- Migrating to VPX - Without leaving VME behind (VME & Critical Systems)
- VPX swr radio handles 16 bits at 200 MHz (Electronic Products)
- Understanding Virtex FPGAs (Embedded Technology Magazine)
- VPX and VXS System-Level Switched Fabric Strategies (COTS Journal)
- Interview with Rodger Hosking on Signal Processing (Open Architecture Review)
- FPGAs vs. ASICs/ASSPs in the digital down-converter (FPGA Central)
- New FPGAs Transform Real-Time Systems Architectures (RTC Magazine)
- PRODUCT HOW-TO: Building an FPGA-based Digital Down (Programmable Logic DesignLine)
- Signal Processing Rides the IP Core Wave (COTS Journal)
- IP cores are proving the perfect platform for military signal processing functions. FPGA and embedded board vendors are leading the charge with a comprehensive set of solutions.
- C6000 vs. PowerPC for signal processing application development (Boards & Solutions Magazine)
- The C6000 DSPs from TI and PowerPC G4 procerssors from Motoroa can deliver some of the highest performance processing power currently available in silicon today.
- Pentek to offer eCOS RTOS on PowerPC (Embedded Systems Europe)
- Pentek is the first vendor to port eCos (Embedded Configurable Operating System), to the Motorola G4 PowerPC processor.
- Undersampling Simplifies Wireless Control Systems (RTC Magazine)
- Wireless control involves moving accurately from the analog to the digital realm. A technique called undersampling can simplify the sesign of the conversion proscess and produce better accuracy.
- VXS to solve even most challenging data transfer requirements (Boards & Solutions Magazine)
- VXS is the switched serial backplane fabric for VMEbus promising to solve even the most challenging data transfer requirements.
- FPGA Cores Enhance Radar Pulse (COTS Journal)
- Numerous obstacles and tradeoffs are inherent in digital pulse compression design. Specialized FPGA IP cores help smooth the way.
- VXS: A High-Performance VMEbus Switched Serial Fabric (Embedded Edge Magazine)
- Now well into its third decade of widespread deployment, VMEbus continues as the dominant bus structure for high-performance embedded systems.
- Use FPGA resources to boost radar system performance (RF Design)
- FPGAs Revolutionize Mezzanine Boards (RTC Magazine)
- New FPGAs tackle real-time DSP tasks for defense applications (Boards & Solutions Magazine)
- Products, Optimism Abound At Bus & Board Conference (Embedded 365)
- Bus & Board Conference Coverage on the Model 6821
- University of Washington Employs Pentek Digital Signal Processing System in Leading-Edge Imaging Research (VMEbus Systems Magazine)
- Since the early 90´s researchers at the University of Washington and IBM have been involved in developing a practical technology for imaging the 3-dimensional structure of individual molecules.
- XMC Delivers a Future-Proof Mezzanine Standard (RTC Magazine)
- FPGAs Are They Really Worth It? (VME and Critical Systems Magazine)
- FPGAs and DSPs square off in military designs (Military & Aerospace Magazine)
- Industry Article on FPGAs with quote from Rodger Hosking.
- EDN HOT 100 Products (EDN Magazine)
- Tools Target Real-Time Data Acquisition Systems (RTC Magazine)
- Features and Benefits of FPGA-based DDCs (Electronic Engineering Times Asia)
- Putting FPGAs to Work in Software Radio Systems (VME and Critical Systems Magazine)
Pentek, Inc. • One Park Way, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 07458, USA • Tel: +1 (201) 818-5900 • Fax: +1 (201) 818-5904 • Map + Directions
Site Map • Copyright © 2017 Pentek, Inc. All Rights Reserved.