Pentek Introduces NEW Line of 6U VPX Boards Boosting Functional Density and Performance
Upper Saddle River, NJ - November 10, 2014 -
Pentek, Inc., today announced the addition of 6U VPX boards to the Pentek product line: the Models 57xxx with one XMC module installed and the Models 58xxx with two XMC modules installed. These products extend the Pentek building block strategy of using Cobalt® Virtex-6 and Onyx® Virtex-7 XMC FPGA modules on carriers for open architecture industry-standard form factors.
Pentek's 6U VPX boards for data acquisition, software radio and digital signal processing offer flexible, gigabit serial fabric connections for demanding radar, beamforming, communications and signal intelligence applications. These new boards are designed for both lab and rugged environments with deployable conduction-cooling options.
Building Block Strategy for Modules
The 6U VPX Model 57xxx and Model 58xxx boards accommodate either one (57xxx) or two (58xxx) Cobalt or Onyx FPGA XMCs, significantly increasing the functional density of a VPX slot. With the 57xxx versions, users can install their own XMC module in the second site.
The 6U VPX boards take advantage of the increased I/O to the backplane by adding optional LVDS lines from the FPGA on each XMC to user pins of the VPX backplane connectors. Optional x4 user-configurable gigabit serial links provide additional interconnect options between the two installed XMC modules and to the VPX backplane.
"Our VPX product strategy leverages our wide range of proven FPGA-based XMCs featuring advanced IP cores and high-performance I/O, all fully supported with development software and FPGA design tools," stated Rodger Hosking, co-founder and vice-president of Pentek, Inc. "This strategy affords our customers faster delivery and increased performance, while reducing risks and speeding embedded system development."
Key functions of Pentek's 23 Cobalt and Onyx XMC FPGA modules can now be extended to 6U VPX systems for data acquisition, software radio and digital signal processing, including:
- Serial FPDP and LVDS digital I/O
- A/D converters with sampling rates to 3.6 GHz
- D/A converters with sampling rates to 1.25 GHz
- Digital down converters (DDC)
- Digital up converters (DUC)
- RF tuners to 4 GHz
- GSM (Global System for Mobile
Communications) channelizers up to 2200 channels
For a complete 6U VPX product listing: http://www.pentek.com/vpx/vpx.cfm?HID2=SM
Development Tools and Software Support
Like the existing 3U VPX Model 52xxx and 53xxx series, the new 6U VPX Model 57xxx and 58xxx series take advantage of the same development tools as the Cobalt and Onyx XMCs, allowing programmers to migrate directly between hardware platforms.
The Onyx 6U VPX boards take advantage of Pentek's GateXpress PCIe Configuration Manager for dynamic FPGA reconfiguration, providing tremendous runtime programming flexibility and security. At power up, the GateXpress manager immediately presents a PCIe target to the host computer for discovery and enumeration, giving the FPGA time to load from FLASH. Once booted, the GateXpress manager offers multiple options for dynamically reconfiguring the FPGA with a new Intellectual Property (IP) image, handling the hardware negotiation and streamlining the loading task.
GateXpress allows the FPGA to be reprogrammed during development or deployment. The system does not have to power down to load IP into the FPGA. For additional security, IP code does not need to be stored in non-volatile memory, preventing retrieval or reverse engineering of IP code if the board falls into enemy hands.
For systems that require custom functions, IP can be developed using the Pentek GateFlow FPGA Design Kit, extending or even replacing the factory-installed functions.
Pentek ReadyFlow drivers and board support libraries are available for Linux and Windows operating systems. ReadyFlow includes example applications with full source code, a command line interface for custom control over hardware, and Pentek's Signal Analyzer, a full-featured analysis tool that continuously displays live signals in both time and frequency domains.
Pricing and Availability
For the latest pricing, delivery and available options, please fill out this form and your request will be delivered to the appropriate department. To learn more about our products or to discuss your specific application please email our sales department at firstname.lastname@example.org, contact your local representative or Pentek directly:
One Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
Tel: +1 (201) 818-5900
Fax: +1 (201) 818-5904
Map + Directions
- Model 57610 LVDS Digital I/O with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57611 Quad Serial FPDP Interface with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57620 3-Channel 200 MHz A/D and 2-Channel 800 MHz D/A with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57621 3-Ch 200 MHz A/D with DDC & 2-Ch 800 MHz D/A with DUC, Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57630 1 GHz A/D and D/A with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57640 1-Channel 3.6 GHz or 2-Channel 1.8 GHz 12-bit A/D with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57641 1-Channel 3.6 GHz or 2-Channel 1.8 GHz 12-bit A/D with DDC - 6U VPX
- Model 57650 2-Channel 500 MHz A/D and 2-Channel 800 MHz D/A with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57651 2-Ch 500 MHz A/D with DDC & 2-Ch 800 MHz D/A with DUC, Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57660 4-Channel 200 MHz, 16-bit A/D with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57661 4-Channel 200 MHz A/D with DDC, Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57662 4-Channel 200 MHz A/D with 32-Channel DDC, Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57663 1100-Channel GSM Channelizer wih Quad A/D - 6U VPX
- Model 57670 4-Channel 1.25 GHz, 16-bit D/A with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57671 4-Ch 1.25 GHz, 16-bit D/A with DUC, Extended Interpolation, Virtex-6 - 6U VPX
- Model 57690 L-Band RF Tuner and 2-Channel 200 MHz A/D with Virtex-6 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57720 3-Channel 200 MHz A/D and 2-Channel 800 MHz D/A with Virtex-7 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57721 3-Ch 200 MHz A/D with DDC & 2-Ch 800 MHz D/A with DUC, Virtex-7 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57730 1 GHz A/D and D/A with Virtex-7 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57741 1-Channel 3.6 GHz or 2-Channel 1.8 GHz 12-bit A/D with DDC - 6U VPX
- Model 57751 2-Ch 500 MHz A/D with DDC & 2-Ch 800 MHz D/A with DUC, Virtex-7 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57760 4-Channel 200 MHz, 16-bit A/D with Virtex-7 FPGA - 6U VPX
- Model 57761 4-Channel 200 MHz A/D with DDC, Virtex-7 FPGA - 6U VPX
Photos and Attachments
Barbara Stewart, Patterson & Associates
9549 East Covey Trail, Scottsdale, AZ 85262
Tel: +1 (480) 488-6909, Fax: +1 (480) 488-8909