About Pentek, Inc.
Pentek, an ISO 9001:2008 certified company, was founded in 1986 and is now the premier source for high-speed real-time recording systems and software, data acquisition and I/O, digital signal processing (DSP) and software defined radio (SDR) products. Our customers enjoy the performance and flexibility afforded by our system- and board-level commercial and conduction-cooled product lines and our world-class applications support.
Pentek's 88,000 sq. ft. facility in Upper Saddle River, NJ
"Pentek takes pride in listening to its customers and creating new products to meet their needs. We promise an atmosphere of freedom and creativity among our engineers, so they can design industry-leading products to satisfy the most demanding applications. This has been the key to our success through the years."|
-- Rodger Hosking, Vice President
Pentek is the leading board manufacturer offering COTS and rugged 1U Rackmount, AMC, FMC (Flexor™ Series), cPCI, PCI, PCIe, PMC, VME, VPX, VXS, and XMC products featuring the latest Xilinx Virtex FPGAs (Cobalt® Virtex-6 and Onxy® Virtex-7 Series). Pentek's data acquisition line is extensive and includes A/D's (analog-to-digital), D/A's (digital-to-analog), A/D & D/A's and other analog & digital I/O modules.
Pentek's extended line of software radio products include Bandit™ analog receivers, digital receivers and transceivers & upconverters. Pentek equips products with high-speed interfaces including Serial FPDP, Fibre Channel®, Serial RapidIO®, Xilinx Aurora® and much more.
With increasing pressure in both the defense and commercial arenas to get to the market first, today's system engineers are looking for more complete off-the-shelf system offerings that eliminate the time and risk associated with new technology system development. Out of the box, Talon® High-Speed Recording Systems arrive complete with a full-featured virtual operator control panel ready for immediate data recording and/or playback operation.
The SPARK™ Series was created to save engineers and system integrators the time and expense associated with building and testing a development system that ensures optimum performance of Pentek boards. A fully-integrated system-level solution, the SPARK family provides the user with a streamlined experience.
No other DSP vendor can provide such seasoned, in-depth technical expertise in data acquisition, digital signal processing and software radio.
Pentek Mission Statement
Pentek's mission is to provide the embedded community with leading edge system- and board-level solutions for the most demanding requirements in data acquisition, digital signal processing and software radio applications through excellence and innovation.
- We support an aggressive new product development cycle to meet market demands as we design the next generation of embedded DSP products.
- We consistently invest more than 15% of revenues in product development, engineering and applications support.
- We will help you solve the most challenging DSP problems through our dedicated staff of systems engineers who are trained to provide the answers to your hardware, software or applications questions.
- We recognize today's time-to-market pressures and budget constraints on development resources and we offer low-risk, easy-to-use embedded solutions.
You can select from a variety of processor boards and the industry's most extensive line of advanced analog and digital I/O products, along with exclusive development tools that help you create a custom system. Many of these products include Xilinx's Virtex FPGAs for customized signal processing.
High-Speed Real-Time Recording Systems
- Economical alternatives to in-house development
- Fully tested and ready to run right out-of-the-box
- Full-featured software included
- Single or multichannel A/Ds and D/As
- Sampling rates to 3.6 GHz
- Resolution to 24 bits
- Up to 520 channels per slot
- Narrow-, wide- and multi-band versions
- Downconverters and upconverters
- Provides over 300 high-performance board and system-level solutions suitable for the lab and deployment in rugged, conduction-cooled and COTS.
- Board level products in AMC, FMC, cPCI 3U, cPCI 6U, PCIe, PMC, VPX, VME and XMC.
- Analog and digital recording systems in portable and rackmount.
- Pre-configured PC development systems speed development.
- First to introduce board-level, digital receiver technology in 1992.
- Pentek engineers maintain a thorough understanding of advanced signal theory and real-world system considerations.
- Pentek's engineers are Digital Signal Processing (DSP), Data Acquisition and Software Radio experts.
- Exploits new FPGA features and performance levels for real-time embedded applications.
- Works closely with other vendors to guarantee interoperability.
- Superior power & thermal management solutions. Built-in thermal sensors in FPGA modules. Modules in extended temperature & conduction-cooled configurations.
- Optimizes multiboard, multichannel synchronization with line of clock/sync generators.
- Maintains similar hardware architectures to preserve customer familiarity with ReadyFlow board support library and GateFlow FPGA products.
- Provides a consistent development environment an easy migration path from Cobalt, Virtex-6 to Onyx Virtex-7 FPGA boards with support under Xilinx ISE Design Suite.
- Efficient manufacturing of Cobalt & Onyx product designs leads to quicker delivery.
- Premier third party for Xilinx, allows for technology preview and early development of new designs that fit into FPGA infrastructure.
Life Cycle Management
Pentek's Life Cycle Management system details the current status of any product. Pentek provides extended life cycle support to customers with long-term program requirements to ensure availability of products. Customers must contact Pentek to establish an appropriate plan to satisfy future requirements.
Why Customers Buy From Pentek
The initial hardware and software price often winds up being a small part of the overall cost of getting your application developed and implemented. Taking a long time to develop your system/application software, or getting stuck in a continuous loop of software and hardware debugging, is often the more significant cost component. It is therefore important to take into account the following considerations.
- Pentek has been designing and building boards for 25+ years: We understand how these boards are going to be used and have designed them for maximum performance, signal quality, thermal characteristics, cooling, FPGA loading, I/O to and through the boards and for channel synchronization where low phase noise is critical. Competitors often cannot meet their own board specifications and have trouble with noise and overheating.
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and Data Acquisition and I/O Experts: Starting with our very first products, Pentek engineers have been helping customers solve the toughest design challenges in radar and communications systems. By thoroughly understanding advanced signal theory and real-world system considerations, our experts have spread this knowledge to the embedded computing community through thousands of tutorials, industry articles, techcasts, webcast seminars and technical handbooks targeting the most demanding applications. These same experts help Pentek customers choose the best system architectures for a successful design delivered on time.
- Pentek targets the high-end of the market: Virtually all customers push the capabilities to the max so it is extremely important that the board design is optimized for maximum performance. Building a board is one thing, getting it to perform correctly and at peak performance is another, especially if the FPGA is an integral part of the application. Pentek does not dilute our efforts trying to serve multiple markets so end users get higher performance products and superior technical support.
- Systems Hardware Prequalification: Pentek has characterized and tested a variety of motherboards, processor boards, RAID controllers, SSDs, etc so that we can recommend the right system hardware from the get go thereby eliminating system and processing bottlenecks and system development time.
- FPGAs are fully characterized: Pentek provides detailed information on FPGA utilization and can recommend exactly which FPGA to use on each board based on how much user generated IP will be installed.
- GateFlow FPGA Design Resources: Allows the user to easily modify, replace and extend the standard factory installed functions in the FPGA and add user generated IP. GateFlow includes VHDL source code and all FPGA project files, which significantly shortens the time for end users to develop customer developed IP installed in the signal path.
- FPGA IP development support: Unlimited customer support is provided. All of Pentek's boards use the FPGA as an integral part of the board for moving data and doing signal processing functions. As a result, Pentek is expert at developing IP and using the Xilinx development and debugging software tool sets. This helps new customers through the process, saving time and money.
- Technical Support: Pentek offers free, unlimited, lifetime technical support from DSP engineers. Pentek has a dedicated department that only does support. Most of the competition does not, and instead provide very limited support from low level technicians, not DSP engineers. By the very nature of the applications this class board is used for applications that are complicated. Pentek's superior support means customers get their application implemented significantly faster, especially if there is a customer induced software problem that needs debugging. Pentek excels at supporting you until you get your issues resolved. No one else offers this level of support!
- Documentation: Pentek's documentation is the best in the industry. Download it and look it over. This level of quality documentation saves an enormous amount of development time.
- Startup Time: You can install and use the board immediately by using the
ReadyFlow Command Line Interface and Signal Analyzer to display the data without having to do any programming. This saves development time and shortens project start up time.
- Quality: Pentek implements the highest quality practices in all operational phases, and is committed to customer satisfaction and on-going improvement. Pentek proudly maintains its ISO 9001:2008 certification.
Pentek is an active member in many industry associations that drive new technologies including VITA, OpenVPX, PCI-SIG, PICMG, AUVSI and Wireless Innovation Forum.
Pentek Company Brief
- Designing and building boards and recording systems for 25+ years satisfying customer demands in many military programs.
- Pentek is a technology partner with deep knowledge of customer applications
- Small business, privately held, manufactures in the USA.
- Adheres to the highest quality practices in all operational phases and proudly maintains its ISO 9001:2008 certification.
- Serves high-end radar, communications, beamforming, software radio & SATCOM markets and optimizes design for maximum performance & to satisfy critical requirements.
- Offers complete technical documentation that saves development time.
- Committed to customer satisfaction with free, lifetime customer support.
- Provides long-term product availability and life-cycle support with Life Cycle Management system with automatic notifications of life cycle changes.
- Bonded Inventory Program extends product longevity.
- Bundle discount programs and volume discounts available.
Pentek Company History
Pentek released a new line of extreme environment recorders: the Talon® RTX Rackmount series. Designed for field operation, the new RTX Family provides a rugged military-specified rackmount chassis and QuickPac™ Drive Pack that allows operators to quickly remove and replace storage drives.
Pentek debuted a new family of affordable recording systems: the Talon® RTV series. Designed for laboratory and benign environments, the Model RTV 2601 is a single-channel multiband recording and playback system representing exceptional value for the price and is available for expedited delivery from stock.
The company expanded its line of Talon® high-speed real-time recording systems:
- Model RTR 2729A, a 3.6 GHz 12-bit A/D rugged portable recorder suitable for military and aerospace applications, is capable of capturing an extremely wide band of signals in real-time to disk.
Pentek introduced a new family of FMC (FPGA Mezzanine Card) carriers and FMC modules: the Flexor™ series.
- The industry's first FMC/VPX carrier with optical backplane interface Model 5973 and Model 3312 combine the high performance of the Virtex-7 with the flexibility of the FMC data converter creating a complete radar and software radio solution.
- The Model 3316 FMC module doubles the existing channel density and boosts sample rates with eight 250 MHz 16-bit A/Ds.
The company extended its line of Onyx® family Xilinx Virtex-7 FPGA modules:
- The 3-channel Model 71721 and the 4-channel Model 71761, 200 MHz 16-bit A/D XMC modules each have a programmable digital down converter and a suite of built-in programmable cores.
- Model 71741, a 1-channel, 3.6 GHz 12-bit A/D or 2-channel, 1.8 GHz 12-bit A/D XMC module, can digitize signal bandwidths up to 1500 MHz.
- Model 52751, a two-channel, wideband transceiver 3U VPX board, is suitable for connection to HF or IF ports of communications or radar systems.
Pentek continued its line of popular Cobalt® family Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA modules:
- Model 52663, the industry's first full spectrum GSM channelizer, is a 3U VPX module ideal for mobile monitoring systems that must capture some or all of the 1100 uplink and downlink signals in both upper and lower GSM bands.
Pentek announced the addition of 6U VPX boards to the Pentek product line: the Models 57xxx with one XMC module installed and the Models 58xxx with two XMC modules installed. These products extend the Pentek building block strategy of using Cobalt® Virtex-6 and Onyx® Virtex-7 XMC FPGA modules on carriers for open architecture industry-standard form factors.
Pentek released a new line of high-performance, pre-integrated and tested systems to jump start application development: the SPARK™ Development Systems. The Model 8267 fully-integrated 3U VPX system speeds application development for Pentek's expansive family of Flexor® FMC, Cobalt® Virtex-6 and Onyx® Virtex-7 FPGA 3U VPX software radio and data acquisition I/O boards.
Pentek continued its line of Onyx® family Xilinx Virtex-7 FPGA modules:
- Model 71730 a single channel 1 GHz 12-bit A/D, 1 GHz 16-bit D/A module which can receive and transmit at the same sampling rate, supporting signal bandwidths up to 400 MHz.
The company expanded its line of Talon® high-speed real-time recording systems:
- The Model RTR 2728 rugged portable and the Model RTR 2748 rugged rackmount recorders use state-of-the-art SSD (solid state drive) storage technology to achieve aggregate recording and playback rates up to 4 GBytes per second.
- The Model RTS 2707 rackmount system and the Model RTR 2747 rugged rackmount system offer recording and playback of RF/IF signals up to 700 MHz with signal bandwidths up to 200 MHz.
- Pentek introduced three LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) digital I/O systems: the Model RTS 2718 commercial rackmount, the Model RTR 2738 rugged portable, and the Model RTR 2758 rugged rackmount recorders.
Pentek extended its line of popular Cobalt® family Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA modules:
- Pentek's fastest-ever data acquisition XMC module, Model 71641, is capable of digitizing one 12-bit channel at 3.6 GHz, or two channels at 1.8 GHz.
- The Model 71610 digital I/O module with 32 LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) differential input or output pairs plus LVDS clock, data valid and flow control signals.
Pentek introduced a new OpenVPX product line with 18 diverse 3U OpenVPX products, Model 52xxx series, while reducing power requirements and costs.
Pentek added the Model 7194 high-speed clock generator that provides fixed frequency sample clocks to up to four Pentek analog-to-digital Cobalt® Virtex-6 and Onyx® Virtex-7 modules in multiboard systems.
The company launched the Model 8266 pre-configured PC development system, for the expansive family of Cobalt® Virtex-6 and Onyx® Virtex-7 FPGA PCI Express boards, to speed application development and get customers up and running quickly.
Pentek leveraged our modular product architectures with the introduction of 56xxx family of Advanced Mezzanine Card (AMC) products. The new AMC series gives customers instant access to 15 different signal processing modules.
In addition, Pentek debuted a Bandit line of multiband, modular RF slot receivers:
- The Model 8111 series accepts RF signals over the range of 800 MHz to 3 GHz, downconverting them to a 225 MHz IF signal suitable for A/D conversion by any of several signal acquisition modules.
- The Model 7120 2-channel analog RF tuner accepts RF signals over the range of 400 MHz to 4 GHz, amplifying, filtering and downconverting them to an IF signal suitable for A/D conversion by any of several Pentek signal acquisition modules.
Pentek introduced the new Onyx® family based on the Xilinx Virtex-7 FPGA:
- The first member of its high-performance Onyx family, the Model 71760 4-channel 200 MHz A/D XMC, is ideal for demanding UAV, radar and communications applications.
- Addressing the most challenging unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), radar and communications applications, Pentek released the Onyx Model 71720 3-channel, 200 MHz A/D, 2-channel 800 MHz D/A module.
The company expanded its line of Talon® high-speed real-time recording systems:
- The first member of its Extreme Talon recorder family, the RTX 2786 IF signal Recording and playback system, is suitable for military and aerospace applications, UAVs and other severe temperature, shock and vibration environments.
- New Talon multi-channel Serial FPDP turnkey recording systems: the RTS 2716 commercial rackmount, the RTR 2736 rugged portable, and the RTR 2756 rugged rackmount recorders are ideal for R&D, ground, ship, airborne and rugged environments.
- Designed for ultra wideband signals, Pentek released the Talon RTS 2709 2-Channel RF/IF rackmount recorder.
- Pentek introducted the Talon RTR 2727 rugged portable RF/IF high-bandwidth signal recording and playback system suitable for military and aerospace applications.
The company extended its line of popular Cobalt® family Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA modules:
- Pentek introducted two quad serial FPDP (front panel data port) with Cobalt family modules: the Model 71611 XMC module and the Model 7811 native PCI express card.
- The Cobalt Model 71671 D/A converter module for RF and IF waveform playback extends signal bandwidth range for beamforming and software radio applications.
In addition, Pentek debuted high-speed system synchronization and distribution amplifier products: Model 7192 PMC/XMC module, Model 9192 rack-mount unit and Model 7893 PCIe board for military, medical imaging and beamforming applications.
Pentek extended its line of Talon high-speed real-time recording systems:
- RTS Model 2706 customizable 200 MHz multi-channel high-speed real-time recording and playback system for the real-time reproduction of recorded signals and GPS time stamping and positioning.
- Pentek's first fully-rugged Mil-Spec recording system RTR Model 2746 200 MHz real-time analog recording and analysis system for harsh environments and UAV applications.
- Pentek's first digital I/O high-speed recording system RTS Model 2715 10Gig ethernet data recorder pre-loaded with SystemFlow software.
- Ruggedized portable RF/IF signal recording and playback system RTR Model 2726 for vehicle, ship and aircraft applications.
The company expanded its line of Cobalt family Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA modules:
- Model 71662 four channel, 200 MHz, 16-bit data acquisition board with built-in digital down converters (DDCs) suitable for direct connection to IF or RF ports of communications, unmanned autonomous vehicle (UAV) and radar systems.
- Pentek's fastest-ever data acquisition module Model 71640 one channel at 3.6 GHz or two channels at 1.8 GHz 12-bit A/D board ideal for radar and software radio interface solutions.
- Pentek more than doubles signal bandwidth with Model 71651 software radio module featuring dual-channel 500 MHz A/Ds capture 240 MHz of signal bandwidth.
- Model 71670 four channel, 1.25 GHz D/A module ideal for beamforming and multichannel waveform generation.
- Pentek introduced availability of 3U and 6U CompactPCI (cPCI) for the Cobalt series modules.
In addition, Pentek also announced new features for its ReadyFlow board support package (BSP) to simplify embedded development for the Cobalt family of Xilinx Virtex-6 modules. Enhancements include a Command Line Interface that allows the hardware to run out-of-the-box without having to write any code and the introduction of a turn-key Signal Analyzer for data display, validation and monitoring.
Pentek introduced their family of Cobalt® Virtex-6 data acquistion and software radio modules ideal for wideband communicaitons, radar, SIGINT and beamforming. Modules are available for COTS and rugged XMC, cPCI, VPX, PCI, PCIe, VME and VXS. These modules have: sampling ranges from 10 MHz to 1 GHz; dedicated memory for each I/O stream; intelligent chaining DMA engines; secondary serial gigabit interface; multichannel, multiboard synchronization and support for ReadyFlow® Board Support Libraries and GateFlow® FPGA Design Resources.
Pentek, Inc., a pioneer in embedded computing innovation, has achieved ISO 9001:2008 quality management system (QMS) certification by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), demonstrating Pentek's long-standing commitment to quality-of-service standards and customer satisfaction.
PCI express software radio modules were introduced with routing flexibility designed specifically for communications, software radio, radar, telemetry, and signal intelligence applications. In addition, the Cobalt® family of Virtex-6 products was announced.
Pentek achieves ISO 9001:2000 certification for quality management systems and interoperability of VITA Radio Transport (VRT). Pentek announces new software radio modules that feature the industry's latest 16-bit 200 MHz A/Ds. Pentek also introduces two rugged software radio PMC modules with unprecedented performance and density--the Model 7141-420 covers a very wide range of transmit and receive bandwidths and the Model 7141-430 provides up to 512 independently-tunable receiver channels in one slot. Pentek also announced the Model 4207 VME/VXS I/O Processor board and the Model 2721 portable signal recording and playback system with streaming data up to 500 MB/sec.
Pentek introduces the Model 7141 PMC/XMC Transceiver for superior signal quality software radio applications. New factory-installed GateFlow® IP cores include multi-band DDCs covering four orders of magnitude of signal bandwidth and interpolation filters that extend the bandwidth range of ASIC interpolators by three orders of magnitude.
Pentek announces a new family of software radio transceiver modules that boost FPGA, memory and A/D Resources for complex wideband multi-channel systems. This new line expands to PMC/XMC, 3U/6U cPCI and PCI form factors and is also available in rugged versions. New software radio module FPGA pre-installed cores were added including a 256-channel DDC core that increases channel density by an order of magnitude. Additionally, new High-Speed Real-Time Recording Systems were added with wider signal bandwidths and record/playback capabilities.
Rugged versions of new software radio modules were announced. A new comprehensive software radio transceiver packs FPGA processing power with XMC switched fabric IO. SystemFlow® API and libraries was added to support Pentek's high-speed real-time recording system line. Pentek introduces the Model 6826 2 GHz VXS A/D converter board.
Pentek announces the first switch-less VXS system along with powerful I/O products that combine the VXS connectivity with powerful FPGA resources and IP offerings. Pentek also expands its software radio product line with a new PCI card powerful enough to stand on its own. New 3U and 6U cPCI board offerings were also introduced.
Pentek introduces its Model 4205 I/O processor PowerPC board and expands its GateFlow® FPGA line with the introduction of Installed IP Cores. It also introduces its first PCI product, Model 7631 receiver.
Pentek introduces an Octal C6203 processor and more FPGA software radio VIM and PMC modules with GateFlow® FPGA Design Kit and installed cores.
The company announces its new quad Motorola AltiVec G4 PowerPC processor and new FPGA software radio VIM modules.
Pentek announces its new quad board based on the TI fixed-point DSP processor the TMS320C6203. The ReadyFlow® Board Support Package are introduced.
The company expands its line of high-performance VIM I/O to more than ten models, and introduces its first RACEway® digital receiver VME board.
Pentek announces its new quad board based on the TI floating-point DSP processor the TMS320C6701. The VIM Series of mezzanine I/O is also introduced.
Pentek announces its new quad board based on the TI fixed-point DSP processor the TMS320C6201.
Pentek introduces a line of C-size VXI products. PMC modules and more digital receivers are announced.
Pentek introduces their powerful octal C40 VME board. More digital receivers and A/D boards, along with new software, are also introduced.
A group of five engineers form a company, which they appropriately name Pentek. The company engages in developing and marketing off-the-shelf DSP and data acquisition products such as C30 and C40 DSP processor VME boards and a slew of analog and digital I/O peripherals including the first digital receiver product.
Pricing and Availability
For the latest pricing, delivery and available options, please fill out this form and your request will be delivered to the appropriate department. To learn more about our products or to discuss your specific application please email our sales department at firstname.lastname@example.org, contact your local representative or Pentek directly:
One Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
Tel: +1 (201) 818-5900
Fax: +1 (201) 818-5904
Map + Directions